Garbanzo Beans-also known as Chick Peas-originated in the Middle East. They were first cultivated in about 3000 B.C. in the Mediterranean area. They spread to India and to Africa from there.
Chickpeas have a long delicious history of sustaining humankind. Thank you Chickpeas!
Helps Control Blood Sugar Levels. …
Increases Satiety and Helps with Weight Loss. …
Improves Digestion Thanks to a High Fiber Content. …
Helps Protect Against Heart Disease and Cancer. …
Provides Essential Vitamins and Minerals. …
Is a Great Source of Plant-Based Protein.
- 14 ounce(s) Canned Garbanzos (Chickpeas)
- 12 ounce(s) Cucumber peeled, raw
- 4 ounce(s) Celery large (11"-12" long), raw
- 1/4 teaspoon(s) Ground Cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon(s) Salt
- 2 ounce(s) Red Onion or 1/2 onion
- 1 lemons medium, raw, fresh, juiced, about 1/2 tablespoon
- 1 tablespoon(s) Light Mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon(s) Fresh Chopped Dill Weed
- 4 Whole Wheat Pita Bread 4" toast if desired
- 5 ounce(s) Tomato 1 large whole, red, raw
- 8 ounce(s) Iceberg Lettuce 1/2 head, iceberg or romaine,shredded
Drain and rinse chickpeas. Pour them into a medium size mixing bowl and mash with a fork.
Mix in celery, cucumber, onion, mayonnaise, lemon juice, dill, salt and pepper to taste.
Spoon into pitas and top with lettuce and tomato.
Spiced Chickpea Sandwich
Amount Per Serving (261g)
Calories from Fat 23
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 2.6g
Saturated Fat .3g
Total Carbohydrates 29.5g
Dietary Fiber 6.6g
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.