Try these 5-steps to Sustainable Change
Are you feeling ready to start fresh… to get on with living a healthy happy life?
Have you started thinking about which resolutions will help you get where you’d like to be?
Having a vision and a plan is essential.
There’s really no better time than the present moment to get started.
Designing a successful plan requires an evaluation of perspective and approach. So let’s look at the facts and decide how to proceed…
Did you know that 80% of New Year’s resolutions fail?
That’s an eye opening statement.
It sure seems easy to make a decision to do or not do something. Piece of cake right?
Just decide and do it.
You know how resolutions go.
In the moment it’s fun, it feels empowering to declare your big plans for the coming months…
“I will lose enough weight to fit back into those jeans in my closet.
“I will no longer eat sugar.”
“I will go to the gym 5 days a week.”
You get off to a great start and then, life happens. Resolutions falter. Then before you know it you are part of that 80%.
Disappointment sets in, creating a downward spiral of thoughts and beliefs that pull you away from what you seek.
Resolutions do not set you up for success.
They are linear… “I’m here. I want to be there.”
They are black and white. Rigid, you reach them or you don’t.
This type of goal setting seems supportive at first, but most often becomes a source of pressure and stress. Partly because perfection is unrealistic. But also because the resolutions themselves don’t feel believable.
Bottom line, life itself is NOT linear. And, if you want to be it you’ve got to believe it.
Wondering how can you shift this predictable cycle?
We recommend a 5-step process to help you create a lifestyle of possibility.
Forget waiting for the new year for a fresh start… make every day a new beginning.
Let intention-setting guide your way.
Intentions have a different flavor to them, they are flexible and dynamic.
They serve as a North Star, helping you navigate a daily life course in alignment with your highest vision. They can be qualities or they can be the things you aim to do or be.
Resolutions are destination-oriented. Intention setting is more focused on the journey.
You work with intentions, correcting and adjusting your path as required to support the flow in your life.
If you want sustainable success with your goals and desires, try this 5-step process.
With time and attention, it works!
1. Reflect. Take some time with this… think about what’s working and what’s not in your life. Consider where you are, where you’d like to be, and what you’d like to achieve. What does it feel like? What qualities do you tap into to approach it? These answers inform the intentions you will set.
2. Create space. Let go. Consider the situations, thoughts and feelings that you carry around with you each day. The hurt feelings, family grudge, self-limiting thoughts, all of the things that feel heavy in your life. These things take up space. They inhibit you from calling in the new. Without judgement, make a choice to forgive, to tap into compassion. This practice is daily, sometimes moment by moment. It is liberating.
3. Give thanks for the good. The science is clear. Gratitude shifts everything including how you feel about yourself and your life. This simple infusion of positivity will help you. Give thanks each day.
4. Set intentions. With spaciousness, identify your intentions. These can be for a day, a week, month or even a year. They are qualities and they are specific goals. The best part, is that they are designed to navigate toward your goals in ways that are supportive and uplifting.
5. Stay connected to your intentions every day. This is the secret sauce. Intentions are like seeds. They required tending. Have a list on a sticky note, put it on the bathroom mirror or your car’s dashboard for easy viewing. Regularly review what’s working and what’s not. Correct and adjust your plan and intentions in ways that help you succeed the long haul.
Ultimately intentions can be used as a tool perfect for developing a new lifestyle approach.They are not magic.
Intentions provide a thoughtful, healthy way to keep yourself aligned with your desires and dreams. This is a sustainable path that will lead to success with consistency.
Give it a shot!
Before you know it, this mindful approach to daily life will become second nature. And, you’ll enjoy new successes that just might surprise and delight you!
We believe in you and envision great success for you as you practice inviting in a lighter brighter life.
CURA Director of Nutrition Christi Bowling, MS, RDN, CSSD, LD is a Masters Level Registered Dietitian Nutritionist with 12 years of experience in corporate wellness, medical nutrition therapy and sports nutrition. She is certified in both Sports Dietetics, and Adult Weight Management.